Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Change of Hearts by Jodi Picoult

*Side note* I've loved all of her novels I've read, because of topics and me being weird there is only one I haven't completed once I began reading it. With that said this one just....wow... just wow.

I was anxious to read the new Jodi Picoult novel
Change of Hearts. I even put my name on the waiting list at the library a month or two ago so I could get my hands on a copy relatively quickly. I got my notice last weekend and picked it up on Tuesday. I finished it Friday morning. I guess I can be thankful for those two days of rain, cold weather, and hubby's golf trip to VA for work for the extra reading time.

From her website:
Synopsis:
Shay Bourne - New Hampshire’s first death row prisoner in 69 years – has only one last request: to donate his heart post-execution to the sister of his victim, who is looking for a transplant. Bourne says it’s the only way he can redeem himself…but with lethal injection as his form of execution, this is medically impossible. Enter Father Michael Wright, a young local priest. Called in as Shay’s spiritual advisor, he knows redemption has nothing to do with organ donation – and plans to convince Bourne. But then Bourne begins to perform miracles at the prison that are witnessed by officers, fellow inmates, and even Father Michael – and the media begins to call him a messiah. Could an unkempt, bipolar, convicted murderer be a savior? It seems highly unlikely, to the priest. Until he realizes that the things Shay says may not come from the Bible…but are, verbatim, from a gospel that the early Christian church rejected two thousand years ago…and that is still considered heresy.


Once again this one made me stop and think. What would I do for one of my kids? Would I be able to take what was offered by the same person who previously took my family from me?

What about the performing miracles, supposed messiah thing. Will we recognize him when he returns? Are we paying close enough attention? And what about those that profess to be but aren't, are we paying close enough attention to them to tell the difference?

Anyways, if you've read any of her previous novels, go out, get your hands on a copy of this one. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I loved Change of Heart as well. :)