Thursday, April 3, 2008

Distant Shores

Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah.

You know I don't think I've read one of her books yet that I haven't enjoyed.
It was a little slow the first chapter or so but maybe that was just me. I've been feeling a little burnt out on reading (GASP!!!), just not into it kind of feeling (EGADS!!!!)but I'm still reading LOL!!

So this one, kind of touched home for me. It's about a couple who have been married for like 24 years, since they were very young. Throughout the marriage she's put all her dreams on hold to follow her husband in his career path, to raise their girls, to do everything for everyone else. Now, the kids are gone and she's feeling like the real Elizabeth doesn't exist anymore. She doesn't know what to do with her life now that there are no kids to take care of, no school volunteering etc. I could so relate to that. Not that I am in that spot yet but I can see how I could be ~ easily.

I've often wondered what we're going to talk about once the kids are grown and gone. It's like every conversation revolves around them and that hurts my heart to even think that.

But anyways, to the book it makes them both see what they have and realize what they've had all along, taken for granted over the years and such. It was a good story.

I'm almost done with Blue Moon by Luanne Rice now, might finish it by this weekend...then again the hubby is gone for business so I might just crash when the kids do.

No comments: