Wednesday, May 14, 2008

gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

Hmm...well what can I say. The title kind of grabbed my attention and I'd never read anything by her so I pulled it off the shelf. It was actually pretty good, it kept me guessing right up to the end as to what actually happened. It does have quite a 'southern' thing going on, of which I understood most of it but I'm not sure all the references would be understood by everyone/everywhere.

Here is what her website has to say about the book.
When Arlene Fleet headed off to college in Chicago, she made three promises to God: She would never again lie, she would stop fornicating with every boy who crossed her path, and she'd never, ever go back to her tiny hometown of Possett, Alabama (the "fourth rack of Hell"). All God had to do in exchange was to make sure the body of high school quarterback Jim Beverly was never found.
Ten years later, Arlene has kept her promises, but an old school-mate has recently turned up asking questions. And now Arlene's African American beau has given her a tough ultimatum: introduce him to her family, or he's gone. As she prepares to confront guilt, discrimination, and a decade of deception, Arlene is about to discover just how far she will go to find redemption - and love.

No comments: